LetsEncrypt cert creation failing when on private network?

I’m configuring OpenReplay on EC2 in AWS. I have successfully completed the deployment and frontend integration on a public EC2 instance, using a LetsEncrypt SSL certificate.

I’m attempting to deploy it now within a VPC (private network) which I VPN into and route traffic through a gateway. The cert creation step appears to succeed:

ubuntu@ip-10-1-12-35:~/openreplay/scripts/helmcharts$ bash certmanager.sh
enter openreplay domain name: openreplay3.xxx.org
Enter your email address for letsencrypt certificate: xxx@xxx.org

[INFO]  Email address xxx@xxx.org is valid.
[INFO]  Installing cert-manager for auto letsencrypt certificate
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/certificaterequests.cert-manager.io created
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/certificates.cert-manager.io created
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/challenges.acme.cert-manager.io created
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/clusterissuers.cert-manager.io created
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/issuers.cert-manager.io created
customresourcedefinition.apiextensions.k8s.io/orders.acme.cert-manager.io created
WARNING: Kubernetes configuration file is group-readable. This is insecure. Location: /home/ubuntu/.kube/config
WARNING: Kubernetes configuration file is world-readable. This is insecure. Location: /home/ubuntu/.kube/config
"jetstack" has been added to your repositories
WARNING: Kubernetes configuration file is group-readable. This is insecure. Location: /home/ubuntu/.kube/config
WARNING: Kubernetes configuration file is world-readable. This is insecure. Location: /home/ubuntu/.kube/config
Hang tight while we grab the latest from your chart repositories...
...Successfully got an update from the "jetstack" chart repository
Update Complete. ⎈Happy Helming!⎈
Release "cert-manager" does not exist. Installing it now.
NAME: cert-manager
LAST DEPLOYED: Tue Apr 30 04:28:11 2024
NAMESPACE: cert-manager
REVISION: 1
TEST SUITE: None
NOTES:
cert-manager v1.8.0 has been deployed successfully!

In order to begin issuing certificates, you will need to set up a ClusterIssuer
or Issuer resource (for example, by creating a 'letsencrypt-staging' issuer).

More information on the different types of issuers and how to configure them
can be found in our documentation:

https://cert-manager.io/docs/configuration/

For information on how to configure cert-manager to automatically provision
Certificates for Ingress resources, take a look at the `ingress-shim`
documentation:

https://cert-manager.io/docs/usage/ingress/
clusterissuer.cert-manager.io/letsencrypt-prod created

However, accessing the URL shows that the it is still using Kubernetes Ingress Controller Fake Certificate instead of the LetsEncrypt one.

How could I investigate further why this is the case and fix it?

Public SSL certificates like letsencrypt and other providers need the domain to be accessible from internet, to verify the ownership. But as you mentioned your server is in private subnet, that check will fail, which causes the letsencrypt certificate issue failure. Unfortunately, we won’t be able to do anything on that.